A Harley-Davidson with a sidecar, 1923. The driver and passenger are wearing leathers and goggles. The first Harley-Davidson was made available to the public in 1903, built by William S Harley and Arthur Davidson.
In the later stages of the war in Europe, Allied paratroopers used these scooters to maintain contact between units, increase their mobility and haul small loads. The Cushman Motor Works designed the Model 53 Airborne Scooter to be airdropped by parachute or carried by glider. Some scooters, like this one, had a hitch to pull a model M3A4 general-purpose utility cart. By adding certain equipment, the cart could be converted to carry a .30-cal. or .50-cal. machine gun or even an 81mm mortar.