The Palazzo Ducale di Mantova ("Ducal Palace") is a group of buildings in Mantua, Lombardy, northern Italy, built between the 14th and the 17th century mainly by the noble family of Gonzaga as their royal residence in the capital of their Duchy. The buildings are connected by corridors and galleries and are enriched by inner courts and wide gardens. The complex includes some 500 rooms and occupies an area of c. 34,000 m².
ALBERTI: View of the interior of Sant Andrea, Mantua, begun 1472. Leon Batista Alberti's design for the church did not end, of course, with the facade, but continued with a new interpretation of the cruciform plan. Wishing to avoid the notion of an arcade on columns, regardless of the frequency of such a solution even among other Renaissance architects. Alberti reintroduced the triumphal arch motif on the interior in an overlapping ABABA rhythm.