Cawdor Castle: The earliest documented date for the castle is 1454. Some parts of the castle have been dated to about 1380. The original castle was a large tower The castle was built around a small, living holly tree, the remains of which can still be seen in the lowest level of the tower. Additions were made to the castle in the 17th & 19th century. The iron yett (gate) here was brought from nearby Lochindorb Castle around 1455 after Lochindorb had been forfeited by the Earl of Moray.