Saffron Walden - In the medieval period the primary trade was in wool and a guild hall was built by the wool-staplers in the marketplace. It was demolished in 1847 and replaced by a corn exchange. In the 16th and 17th centuries the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus) was widely grown, thanks to the town's favourable soil and climate. The flower was precious, as the extract from the stigmas was used in medicines, as a condiment, in perfume, as an aphrodisiac, and as an expensive yellow dye.
Initiatives like this are so important for promoting our fantastic independent local retailers. Saffron Walden Town Team members with copies of the Tour de France leaflet which is aimed at promoting the town.